Jamaican Escovitch fish might be the most popular and tasties way to enjoy the taste of the island. This fish dish is prepared by cleaning the fish, seasoning then Frying fish to perfection before topping to Jamaican pickle pepper.
Here are a few other ways to prepare fish, Jamaican style:
- Steam fish
- Curry Fish
- Roast Fish
- Jerk Fish
What does the word Escovitch Mean?
Derived from latin cuisine, this dish consists of fish that is fried and somewhat marinated. The marination is usually in a sauce of vinegar, spices, onions, carrots, and peppers.
The combination of vinegar, vegetables and spices, is usually known as pickle.
Each family has their own style of cooking so there is almost no recipe when it comes to making Jamaican recipes.
However, it is common for most of us Jamaicans to make Jamaican pickle in advance and store either in the cupboard or in the fridge.
How to Make Jamaican Pickle for Escovitch Fish?
3 Medium Onions, thinly sliced
2 Medium Carrots, sliced based on preference
2 Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Whole
½ Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Cup of White Vinegar
What is the Best Fish for Making Escovitch Fish?
Personally, I think any fresh caught fish is great for escovitch, the meatier the better. There is a wide variety of fish local to Jamaica. These fresh fish are caught and sold everyday to many locals and is a great source of income.
The two popular fish to escovitch are the parrot fish and the snapper fish.
Popular Seafood Spot in Jamaica
If anyone ever gets the chance to visit Jamaica, be sure to visit Hellshire Beach, located in St. Catherine, Jamaica. There lies a wide range of seafood shops that catches and cook any fish and any Jamaican style fish dish desired. Not only is the food good, but there is a beach, massages, small vendors and even parties.
Jamaican Seafood Recipes!
Jamaican Escovitch Fish
- Deep Fryer or Large Skillet
- Cutting Board
- Paper Towel
- Baking Tray
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- 2 Pounds Whole Fish snapper is a great choice
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Seasoning
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Oil for Frying
- 1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper optional
Seasoning the Fish
- Ensure that the fish is entirely cleaned of the guts and properly cleaned.Cut the fins to prevent stabbing your fingers when seasoning. Wash with cool water and place in a bowl.
- Add the All Purpose Seasoning and Black Pepper to the cleaned fish in the bowl and massage the spices all over the fish and inside the belly.Set aside until ready to fry.
Frying the Fish
- Add the frying oil to a thick and large skillet then place on high heat.
- Add the scotch bonnet pepper and allow it to fry for about a minute. This will flavor the oil but totally optional.
- Add each piece of seasoned fish and allow to fry for about 5 minutes on each side.Repeat the process until all the fish is fried.
- Once both sides are fried and crispy, drain the excess oil by placing the pieces of fish on a plate with paper towel.
- Top the fried fish with Jamaican Pickle and serve with fried bammy or festival.