Perfect for a Summer BBQ, this Jamaican Roast Fish recipe is sure to satisfy your palate. Stuffed with fresh Summer vegetables, such as bell peppers, callaloo and okra. This Jamaican grilled fish dish is a nutritious option.
How to Cook Fish Jamaican Style?
There are many ways to cook fish Jamaican style, as well as many new ways that Jamaicans create each day.
Here are a few of my Jamaican fish recipes:
- Jamacian Steam Fish Head
- Ecovitch Fish Recipe
- Ackee and Saltfish Recipe - Jamaica's National Dish
- Jamaican Saltfish Fritters
How to Roast Fish in the Oven?
Roasting fish in the oven is much easier than you may think. Whether it be a stuffed snapper, like this Jamaican roast fish recipe, or just a simple lemon and olive oil roast, the method is the same.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees farhenheit
- Properly clean and season the fish, (whole or Filet), as you desire.
- Place the seasoned fish on a tray safe for the oven and bake for at least 20 minutes.
The ingredients used in this recipe are standard, however feel free to add any vegetables you have on hand. Jamaican have a saying that goes, "tun yuh hand mek fashion", which simply means, make use of whatever you have.
- Whole Fish
- Bell Beppers
- Fresh Callaloo (you may use canned callaloo, fresh spinach or even fresh kale)
- Fish Seasoning
- Unsalted Butter
What is the Street Food of Jamaica?
By popular demand, Jerk Chicken is the number one selling street food in Jamaica. Whether it be on the beach, in the hustle and bustle of the towns or in a simple neighborhood, Jerk Chicken, Pork and Fish is a hot commodity.
Street food is extremely popular on Friday nights in the country, which will feature a variety of dishes, street side. It could be this roast fish with okra and tough crackers, jerk chicken with hardo bread or a simple chicken and chips with ketchup. The options are endless, as Jamaicans are now putting new spins on popular dishes.
Jamaican Roast Fish
- Aluminum Foil
- Cutting Board
- Grill or Oven
- 3 Whole Snappers Cleaned and Descaled
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Seasoning
- 6 Cups Shredded Callaloo
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- Add the cleaned fish to a bowl and add the fish seasoning. Carefully use your hand to massage the spice onto the fish, into the belly and head.
- Place each seasoned fish on a piece of aluminum foil, enough aluminum to cover the fish twice. This will allow all the juices from the fish and vegetables to remain in the foil.
- In another bowl, mix the shredded callaloo, diced bell peppers and diced onions and combine, then separate into ⅓.
- Add each ⅓ of vegetable mixture to each fish, stuffing the belly first then add the remainder to the top of the fish.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter on each fish then close all ends of the aluminum foil as tight as possible to secure the ingredients.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees farhenheit and bake for 40 minutes on a baking tray.
- Add the foiled fish to the heated grill (gas or coal) and grill for 30 minutes or until the aluminum is charred.
Sounds and looks delicious 🤤
I’m definitely going to try this recipe!