Are Chickpeas Healthy?
Instant pot chickpea is a simple, delicious, healthy, vegan, and gluten-free dish. It is flavorful and easy to make (thanks to the instant pot) and goes perfectly well as a side or main dish!
If you are looking for a healthy, protein-packed, gluten-free, and vegan ingredient, chickpea is the one for you! also known as the garbanzo beans; chickpeas belong to the legume family.
You might think you can use chickpeas to make hummus only, but there are so many ways you can enjoy this versatile ingredient. Whether you use it in a salad, roast them, or as a stew, they are nutty, healthy, and flavorsome.
Can you cook chickpeas without soaking in an instant pot?
The answer is YES. If you have forgotten to soak chickpeas, do not worry. You can make them without soaking as well. However, if you cook unsoaked chickpeas on the stove, it will probably take forever. But thanks to the instant pot, you can cook it within less than an hour. All you have to do is rinse them with water twice or thrice to ensure it is free from debris and dust. Add water and dried chickpeas in an instant pot, cook at high pressure, and Voila! Your unsoaked chickpeas are cooked to perfection.
How long does it take to cook soaked chickpeas?
Although cooking unsoaked chickpeas are super convenient, if you soak them for six to eight hours prior to cooking, it has its perks as well. For on, soaking reduces the cooking time to a greater extent. Furthermore, if you worry about bloating and gas troubles after eating chickpeas, soaking them before cooking will help you get rid of gas-causing sugars. Lastly, this way, it only takes about 6 to 7 minutes in an instant pot.
In short, you can cook the chickpeas in any way you like, whether with soaking or without soaking them!
What are the Benefits of Eating Chickpeas?
Here are a few reasons why you should include chickpeas in your daily diet:
- Chickpeas are among those ingredients that are naturally gluten-free. As a result, it is ideal for those who are resistant to gluten.
- These are jam-packed with minerals like copper, phosphorus, folate, and iron.
- Chickpeas are not just low in calories but are also high in dietary fiber. As a result, they keep you full for longer. Also, these are a rich source of protein, thus help in controlling your appetite. Also, it helps in controlling and managing your weight.
- Because these are high in plant-based protein, they promote bone health and improve muscle strength.
- Because it is a good source of dietary fiber and protein, it helps to regulate the level of sugar in the blood.
- Since it is high in fiber, it aids in regular bowel movements and promotes the "good" bacteria in the guts. As a result, it improves your digestion.
- It also reduces the level of bad cholesterol in the blood. As a result, it promotes heart health and protects the heart from several chronic diseases.
- Chickpeas contain a compound known as saponins. This compound is particularly effective in reducing the chances of cancerous cell development.
Why use an Instant Pot?
Most of the time, we are either in a hurry or too tired to cook after a long day. At that point, all you think of is home delivery or takeout! Luckily having an instant pot is like having a rescuer! That will save you time and money as well.
An instant pot is a kitchen gadget that uses electricity to cook food instantly. It has several functions that ensure speedy cooking. It promotes one-pot cooking, and therefore you can sauté, pressure cook, warm, etc., in it. And the result is just perfect.
Although there are several ways you can cook chickpeas in an instant pot, I particularly love this recipe. It is delicious, rich, easy to make, and above all, uses ingredients that are always available in your vegan pantry. Here is a detailed ingredient breakdown of everything you need for this vegan and gluten-free recipe:
Chickpeas: The main ingredient is chickpeas. It is ideal that you use dried chickpeas. However, you can use soaked chickpeas as well. Most people use canned chickpea as well, but I don't prefer it. Why use canned ingredients when you can enjoy fresh ingredients?
Vegetables: I use onions, garlic, and green bell peppers. I sauté the vegetables first in olive oil. However, you can add more vegetables like carrots as well.
Seasonings: To give it a flavor, I use black pepper, cumin powder, and curry powder. You get flavors as well as the aroma.
Serrano Chilis: If you love heat and spice in your food, try adding serrano chilies to this dish. They are super-hot and utterly delicious. However, if you don’t have serrano, you can also use jalapeno. These are the perfect substitute.
Liquid: You need a liquid ingredient to cook the chickpeas. You can use water or vegetable stock for the purpose. However, I use coconut milk along with water. Coconut adds a unique flavor to the dish and also makes it creamy.
Tips for making perfect Instant pot chickpea
Although cooking chickpeas in an instant pot is pretty straightforward, here are a few tips you should keep in mind:
- Always rinse chickpeas with cold water to get rid of dirt and debris.
- Never add salt to dry chickpeas. Instead, season salt with at the end.
- If you are using unsoaked chickpeas, set the instant pot to high pressure for 40 minutes. However, if you use chickpeas that are soaked for 8 hours, set the timer to 6 minutes only.
- If you want a creamy and soft texture, it's better to soak the chickpeas.
- You can add vegetables like carrots, celery to the dish as well.
- You can adjust the spice level according to your liking.
Instant Pot Chickpeas Step 1
The first step is to ensure all the vegetables are sauteed along with the spices. This will be done using the saute option on the front of the pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Chickpeas Step 2
While cooking the vegetables, you will want to add the dried chickpeas and saute until the chickpeas begin to absorb the spices.
Instant Pot Chickpeas Step 3
You can add coconut milk to the to cook, instead of water. It will make the chickpea sauce creamy.
However, water will allow even steaming while in the pressure cooker.
How to Store Cooked Instant Pot Chickpeas?
To store leftover instant pot chickpeas, place them in an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. However, make sure that the chickpea is at room temperature before you store it. Otherwise, it will get watery.
The Full Recipe
Instant Pot Chickpea (No Soaking)
- 1 Cup Dried Chickpeas
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper, Large Diced
- 1 Medium Onion, Large Diced
- 4 Dried Chili Peppers
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 CupCoconut Milk
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Turn the instant pot to the saute option.
- Heat the olive oil and saute all the vegetables and spices for about 2 minutes.
- Add the dried chickpeas and saute for another minute.
- Turn the instant pot off and add both coconut milk and water.
- Turn the instant pot on to the pressure cook option, on high for 40 minutes. (You can lower this time by soaking your chickpeas overnight and pressuring cooking for 6 minutes instead of 40 minutes).
- Cover the instant pot, ensuring the vent is closed and allow the chickpeas the cook.
- Use the quick release option and allow the steam to escape before opening.
Sat. Fat (grams)14.48
Leave a Reply