Do you want to have comfort food without all the hassle?
There is nothing better to eat on a rainy day (or any day) than some warm stew chicken.
Especially when it’s as rich and delicious as this Instant Pot Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken.
For those of you who are too lazy to bother, there’s good news for you: this recipe uses an
instant pot that makes your cooking process ten times easier.
Read on to find out how you can make Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken in an instant pot at the
convenience of your own home without sacrificing any of the flavors.
What is Jamaican Browning?
One of the essential ingredients for any Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken is the Jamaican browning.
It adds flavor and color he whole dish and is just as important as the chicken itself. The sauce is a combination of seasonings, vegetable concentrates, and last but certainly not the least:
caramelized sugar. You can essentially make it yourself, by simple burning some brown sugar in a little cooking oil. This is more popular in Trinidad than it is in Jamaica, in dishes in Pelau.
The caramelized sugar will give the sauce its distinctive brown color. In Jamaica, we use browning for a variety of dishes, such as:Jamaican brown stew pork and Jamaican oxtail and even jerk paste or sauce. So there’s no harm in making extras, as you can always keep it in the freezer to cook some other tasty dishes!
What is Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken?
Being home to beautiful spices, Caribbean cuisine usually involves lots of seasonings and rich
flavor. It is a fusion of African, Creole, European, Latin American, Indian, Middle Eastern, and
Chinese. Hence our Jamaican Motto "Out of Many, One People".
It is no wonder that as Jamaicans were able to create this rich and delicious stew
Brown stew chicken is a classic Jamaican stew that’s made from chicken, vegetables, and
aromatic spices that are typically eaten during breakfast, lunch or dinner. This comfort food is not only popular in Jamaica. Stew chicken is also popular in Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Belize, and Caribbean communities throughout the world, but of course in different variations.
Cooking Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken in an Instant Pot
Traditionally, making authentic Jamaican brown stew chicken will take up to an hour or more, depending on the amount of chicken. The first step is browning the chicken which will take up most of the time.
This browning method is required for any real brown stew chicken recipe, regardless of cooking in an instant pot or on the stove top. Browning the chicken will cause some of the seasoning to fall to the bottom of the pan and that is where the flavorful sauce comes from.
After browning the chicken, the easiest part of the whole process if the dump and go cooking method we use in the instant pot community. Dump all the ingredients in the instant pot along with the browned chicken and stir. Cover the instant pot and pressure cook on high for 6 minutes. Pressure cooking on high for 6 minutes will thoroughly cook the chicken and vegetables. At this point you should release the steam with the quick release, then saute for another 4 minutes to thicken the sauce.
There are so many easy recipes out there that use instant pot, and it’s as simple as putting your
ingredients inside the pot and leaving it, then waiting for the magic to happen.
Here are a few easy instant pot recipes:
The best meat to cook with instant pot
Instant pot can tenderize your meat much faster than traditional cooking thanks to its
pressurized container. Some of the best meat you can cook using instant pot are chicken, beef,
pork, and even fish. But remember to put your meat on the bottom so it marinates in your sauce
well. It is also great for cooking hardy vegetables that require a longer time to cook such as beets and yams.
Best Ingredients for your Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
6. Sweet pepper
The chicken acts as the protein source in this meal, giving you nutritious lean white meat that
can fuel you all day. Then you get your dose of carbohydrate and fiber with the potatoes. Lastly, the flavorful browning, onion, ketchup, sweet pepper, and garlic act as your seasoning. There is no doubt that this is a full meal that can satisfy you when you’re craving for comfort food!
Instant Pot Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
Seasoning the Chicken
- 4 Whole Chicken Drumsticks Cleaned and Washed
- 4 Whole Chicken Thighs Cleaned and Washed
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
For the Stew
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Browning
- 1 Teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Chopped
- 2 Medium Potatoes I used 5 Baby Potatoes
- ½ Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Medium Onion Large Diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot Chopped
- ½ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar optional
- 1 Teaspoon All Purpose Seasoning like abodo
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
Seasoning the Chicken
- Add the cleaned and washed chicken to a bowl and add the ground spices ( salt, pepper, paprika and all purpose seasoning).
- Use your clean hand or a large spoon to mix the spices into the chicken.
- Cover and allow the chicken to sit until ready to cook.
Stewing the Chicken
- Turn the instant pot to the saute option and all the vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add each piece of chicken one side down and brown for 3 minutes on each side. You may want to do this step in two batches.
- As soon as all the chicken pieces are browned. Turn the instant pot on to the pressure cook setting on high for 6 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables, browning, water and ketchup. Stir and cover. Allow the chicken and vegetables to cook for 6 minutes.
- Once the timer is up, turn the instant pot to saute for 3 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce.