Home fries with peppers and onions are better off fresh. Not only is it an easy dish to make but it is extremely inexpensive. When I say inexpensive, I really do mean it.
You can make home fries with peppers and onions for less than a quarter per person. Yes! Less than 25 cents. Whenever I go to the supermarket, I am just like a kid in a candy store and ShopRite is my all time favorite because of the unbeatable deals.
How Much Does it Cost at ShopRite to Make Home Fries with Peppers and Onions?
I decided to make and share this home fries with peppers and onions recipe because it has been my go-to breakfast meal whenever there is an excess amount of potatoes. The excitement could not be greater when I found out about the sale at ShopRite this week (05/17-05/22/2021). It was only three dollars plus tax for all the vegetables I needed for this home fries recipe.
Above, is the screenshot of the weekly circular from ShopRite, which shows the sale of each ingredient.
Red Peppers - these peppers are on sale $1.69 per pound but for this week only, they are only 99 cents per pound with a limit of 4 pounds.
Yellow Onions - 3 pound bags of yellow onions are on sale for $1.99 per bag, but they are each cheaper with the digital coupon. This makes them only 99 cents per bag.
Red Potatoes - 5 pounds of red potatoes for only 99 cents which are on sale for $1.99. Don't forget to clip that digital coupon for $1 off per bag. Limit 2 bags.
The only other ingredients you will need are: Oil for Frying, Salt and Black Pepper.
If you missed the sale at ShopRite this week, you can always find the same products on Amazon for almost the same price. Just click on the name of any of the items below:
- Red Bell Pepper - 1 Pound for Under $2
- Yellow Onions - 3 Pounds for Under $2
- Red Potatoes - 5 Pounds for Under $2
Are Home Fries Healthy?
When it comes to home fries, of course there are healthy versions but breakfast home fries as we know it is not that healthy.
Potatoes in general are good sources of fiber, which helps to keep the stomach feeling fuller for longer. However, once fried, the flavor increases and so do the calories.
How to Make Healthy Home Fries?
Healthy foods are becoming more popular nowadays and most of us are trending in that direction but do not want to sacrifice the delicious foods. Well, it is possible with a little substitutions.
The most unhealthy ingredient in this dish is the oil used for frying. In order to get rid of this step, we can simply roast the vegetables to create a healthy home fries recipe.
After boiling and blanching the potatoes, as instructed below, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, add the blanched potatoes, diced bell peppers and diced onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly spread the seasoned vegetables onto a non stick baking tray
- Bake at 400 degree fahrenheit for at least 15 minutes or until lightly golden and the vegetables are cooked.
What are the Best Potatoes for Home Fries with Peppers and Onions?
Any potato on sale is my answer! Why search for the best potato when there is usually a sale on potatoes somewhere.
Red potatoes are usually best for potato salads but the taste is just as great when used for making home fries.
What is Blanching?
Blanching is what happens when you suddenly stop the cooking process of an ingredient that is actively cooking.
Blanching Potatoes for Home Fries with Peppers and Onions
For example, in this case, we are blanching potatoes for home fries with peppers and onions. Because we want to avoid undercooking the potatoes, we need to precook them.
If we pre cook the potatoes without blanching, there is a great chance of the potatoes overcooking or melting during the frying process.
Blanching any meat or vegetable will require you to slightly cook the item then immediately run it under cold water or in an ice bath. Running the actively cooking ingredient under cold water will immediately stop the cooking process and leave the item in a solid shape for the next step of the recipe.
Popular Jamaican Breakfast Recipes
Instant Pot Jamaican Curry Chicken
Home Fries with Peppers and Onions
- Cutting Board
- Frying Pan
- Metal Spatula or Tongs
- 6 Medium Red Potatoes Washed and Large Diced
- 1 Large Bell Pepper Washed, Seeded and Large Diced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Peeled and Large Diced
- 1 Teaspoon Salt for Boiling
- ½ Teaspoon Salt for Saute
- 1 Quart Cold Water
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil for Frying
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil for Saute
Blanching the Potatoes
- Add the diced potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 quart of water to a medium sauce pan and place on high heat.
- Allow the potatoes to come to a boil and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- After 2 full minutes of boiling, strain the semi cooked potatoes into a colander and blanch them.The blanching process is explained in details, in the article above.
- Remove the potatoes from the cold water and pat dry, then set aside.
Frying the Potatoes
- Add a cup of vegetable oil to a thick skillet or frying pan and place on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is heat, add and fry the blanched diced potatoes in batches. You may need to do 2 or 3 batches depending on the size of your skillet.
- Continue frying until golden brown, at least 3 minutes on each side.Place the fried potatoes onto a paper towel or wire rack to drain the oil.
Making the Home Fries
- Using another skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Add the bell peppers and saute for one minute
- Add the onions, salt and pepper and saute for another minute.
- Add the fried potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes, until you can hear a sizzle.
Leave a Reply