Coconut Curry Lobster recipe is perfect for two servings and very easy to prepare. I know it is pretty easy to prepare but lobster itself is usually expensive.
Jamaican curry lobster with coconut milk is delicious and is ideal for the keto, gluten-free, diabetic and pecastarian diet.
Different Types of Lobster Tails and the Best Lobster Tails for Coconut Curry Lobster
Essentially there is a variation to lobster tail in any seafood market or grocery store. Whether it be:
- Fresh or Frozen Lobster
- Big or Small Lobster
- Raw or Cooked Lobster
- Wild or Farm Raised Lobster
- Freshwater or Saltwater Lobster
- Warm Water or Cold Water Lobster
The ultimate best is the warm water wild caught lobster, whether fresh or flash frozen. Warm water wild caught lobster tail is best for searing on a hot surface.
How to Cook Lobster Tail on the Stove?
The instant pot has been the rave for quite some time and it may be so tempting to pressure cook every meal but DO NOT PRESSURE COOK LOBSTER TAILS.
Any of the following methods listed below is an ideal way to prepare lobster tails on the stove top:
- Poaching - cooking the lobster meat with or without the shell, usually in a flavored simmering liquid.
- Searing - charring or scorching the flesh of the lobster meat on both sides.
- Saute - lightly frying in a little oil or butter
- Steaming - technique of cooking the lobster tail by heating it in steam from boiling water, steaming is a good way to cook lobster tails as it helps preserve the nutritional value.
- Boiling - just like any seafood boil, with a flavored liquid.
How to Boil Lobster Tail on the Stove?
Boiling the whole lobster or lobster tail should be a quick process. If you plan to cook whole lobster, ensure that they are still alive.
- Add enough water to a stock pot and salt ( and other herbs and spices).
Ensure there is enough water to cover the whole lobster or lobster tails.
- Bring the water to a boil, then carefully add the whole lobster or lobster tails to the stock pot of boiling water.
- Cook about 4 minutes for every pound of lobster. The lobsters will be cooked once fully pink.
- Blanch the lobster and serve with melted butter.
What is Jamaican Curry Powder?
Jamaican curry powder is essentially the queen spice of Jamaica. It made up of an array of herbs and spices such as:
3. Mustard Seed
4. Fenugreek Seeds
5. Allspice or Pimento
6. Cumin Seeds
8. Black Peppercorns
9. Scotch Bonnet Pepper
All these spices and seeds are dry roasted before blending into the famous Jamaican Curry Powder we know.
How to Make Jamaican Coconut Curry Lobster?
Whether you plan on cooking this coconut curry lobster recipe, with or without the shell, the process is quite the same.
Cooking Coconut Curry Lobster in the Shell
If you are cooking the lobster meat with the shell, the only difference is the cooking time. Firstly, you should separate the head from the lobster tail, then cut the lobster tail in half, lengthwise. The cooking process will be the same as in the coconut curry lobster recipe below, but you must cook the lobster for at least an additional 3 minutes. You will know the lobster is done cooking when the shell turns to a bright pink color.
Here is my Cast Iron Lobster Recipe!
Coconut Curry Lobster
- Skillet or Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowl
To Season the Lobster Meat
- 8 Ounces Raw Lobster Meat Cubed
- 1 Teaspoon Jamaican Curry Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
To Cook the Lobster Meat
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Sprig Thyme
- 2 Whole Pimento or Allspice Berries
- ½ Cup Onion Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Jamaican Curry Powder
- 1½ Cups Coconut Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon Scotch Bonnet or Scotch Bonnet Powder
- In a small mixing bowl, add the cubes lobster meat, 1 teaspoon of the Jamaican curry powder, salt, pepper and scotch bonnet or scotch bonnet powder.
- Mix all the spices onto the lobster meat and set aside.
- Place the skillet on medium heat and all the coconut oil.
- Once the coconut oil is heated, add the chopped garlic, chopped onions, thyme sprig and pimento.
- Saute for a minute before adding the rest of the Jamaican curry powder and stir to incorporate.
- After a minute or two and all the vegetables are coated in Jamaican curry powder, reduce the flame to low.
- On low flame, add the coconut milk and stir.
- Allow the coconut milk to come to a simmer before adding the seasoned lobster meat.
- Stir the lobster meat into the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes or until the desired sauce consistency is achieved.
- Serve best with Instant Pot Jamaican Rice and Peas, Instant Pot Jasmine rice or Instant Pot Coconut Rice.
- Sweet Peppers
Tried with extra spices and didn't have coconut oil but turned out great! Thanks
Thank You for the Positive Feedback!
I woke up from a dream this morning where I was holding a cold fat lobster tail and I knew that I wanted a good recipe for making curry lobster. I googled the recipe and found yours and all your ingredients and techniques Beale sound. I will be making curry lobster the first time and following your recipe