Jamaican Peanut Drops is a sweet and nutty treat that is enjoyed by most. This treat is very popular in Jamaica and to many Jamaicans worldwide.
Nowadays, you will be able to find Jamaican peanut drops, and other treats, in any local Caribbean market. However, it is much more cost effective to make your own.
Making your own Jamaican peanut drops will not only be cheaper but you will be able to adjust your flavors according to your liking.
Is it Jamaican Peanut Cake or Jamaican Peanut Drops?
It really does not matter what you want to call this treat because the cooking process and the ingredients are the same.
Just like the infamous Jamaican coconut drops, the nuts are boiled and caramelized.
Why is it Called Drops?
Drops refers to the method of placing the caramelized nuts or fruits onto a surface to cool, usually banana leaves or wax paper.
Dropping the caramelized peanuts will immediately allow the nuts to cool and form shape. Keep in mind that hot sugar cools fast so you will need to form the drops as soon as it is caramelized.
How to Make Jamaican Peanut Cake?
In order to create the perfect jamaican peanut cake, you will need to have the right ingredients. Growing up, I could not tell the difference between different peanut cakes, but I could differentiate each ingredient because of each distinct taste.
The most important and most used ingredients for any Jamaican peanut drops are:
Salt, for flavor
Vanilla, for flavor
Nutmeg, for flavor
Cinnamon, for flavor
The cooking process for the Jamaican peanut cake is pretty simple, however it does take time. It takes time because sugar and water needs to create a caramel and coat itself onto the nut to form the drops. Usually, this recipe would take at least 45 minutes, depending on how much peanut you plan to make and the toughness of each nut.
Peanuts are not widely used in Jamaica, however, they are often eaten in the raw or roasted form.
Other than this Jamaican peanut drops recipe, you can try my Jamaican Peanut Porridge Breakfast recipe.
Other than this Jamaican peanut cake recipe, you can try my Jamaican Peanut Porridge Breakfast recipe.
Jamaican Peanut Drops
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 Cups Raw Peanuts
- 6 Cups Water
- 1½ Cup Cane Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Inch Fresh Ginger Grated
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon Optional
- ½ Teaspoon Grated Nutmeg Optional
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract Optional
- Place a medium saucepan on high heat.
- Add raw peanuts, water, salt, grated ginger and cane sugar ( also add the optional spices, if desired).Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue boiling for another 30 minutes, uncovered and stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Once ¾ of the water evaporates, reduce the flame to medium.
- Continue stirring until the mixture is thick and syrupy and all peanuts are coated in caramelized sugar. This step should take no more than 10 minutes.
- Drop about 2-3 tablespoons of peanut mixture onto a non stick baking tray.
- You may allow the peanut drops to sit at room temperature or place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.