Growing up in Jamaica, the options were limited to either Rum and Raisin and Grapenut, until other flavors became popular.
Why is it called Rum Raisin?
Traditionally, Jamaican calls it Rum and Raisin but I call mine Rum Raisin becaise I soak my raisin, just like I do for my Jamaican Rum Cake.
Some people may not know but there are two different ways to add raisin to your homemade ice cream.
- If you like your ice cream really strong, then you can add rum soaked raisins to your ice cream mixture.
- When keeping the alcohol content low and kid friendly, there is no need to soak the raisin in rum. You may either soak the raisin in a little water, just to soften them, before adding them to the ice cream mixture.
Is Jamaican Rum and Raisin Ice Cream Vegan?
Traditionally, there are eggs and heavy whipping cream or milk in the base of any ice cream. However, this Jamaican rum raisin recipe can be vegan with the substitution of the heavy whipping cream and the removing the eggs completely.
How to Make Rum Raisin Vegan?
As I mentioned above, eggs can be totally removed from the ice cream recipe. However, instead of using regular heavy cream, you can substitute using dairy free heavy coconut cream.
Using heavy coconut cream is pretty simple. Naturally, heavy coconut cream is thick, so there will be a need to thin it out. The ratio for thinning it out 1 Cup Heavy Coconut Cream to ½ Cup Coconut Water. Coconut water is awesome but it is totally okay to use water.
Coconut Cream and coconut milk is a popular ingredient in alot of vegan Jamaican dishes. Here are a few my vegan recipes that use coconut milk:
Is Rum and Raisin Ice Cream Popular in Jamaica?
Nowadays when Jamaicans hear the term Rum and Raisin Ice-Cream, there are two things that come to mind. However, for this sake, we will be sticking to the traditional Jamaican Rum and Raisin Ice Cream Recipe.
Nonetheless, Rum Raisin is one of the most popular flavor ice cream eaten in Jamaica.
Jamaican Rum Raisin Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker
- Mixing Bowl
- Freezer Bowl
- 4 Cup Heavy Cream
- ¾ Cups Raisins
- 1 Cup Cane Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup White Rum
To Soak the Raisin
- Add the raisins and rum to a small bowl and combine.
- Allow the raisins to sit in the rum until ready to use.For Best Results, Soak the Raisins Overnight.
To Make the Ice Cream
- Pour the Heavy Cream, Cane Sugar and Vanilla Extract in a bowl.
- Using a whisk, mix together until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the sweetened cream is in the ice cream maker, add the rum soaked raisin and churn for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the cream from the ice cream machine and place in a glass freezer container. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes before serving.https://amzn.to/3r28IQr
It took me a month to finally make this recipe and I can say it will be my go to from now on. I added a little too much rum though 😂