Fried breadfruit is a known staple to many Jamaicans and other Caribbean natives.
The crispiness on the outside and the fluffiness on the inside with a hit of salt. This fried breadfruit recipe will leave you craving more and more.
Growing up, there were breadfruit trees in abundance with plenty to go around the community. Breadfruit is readily available in Jamaica and easy to prepare.
In Jamaica, Breadfruit is almost free. Many Jamaicans enjoy it.
What is Roast Breadfruit?
Roast breadfruit is super delicious and is mostly eaten with ackee and saltfish, salt mackerel, rundung, curry chicken and any other meat kind with a gravy or sauce. You can even eat roasted breadfruit by itself. Believe it or not, breadfruit can be sweet.
It is super easy to roast breadfruit, or even bake it.
How to Roast Breadfruit for Fried Breadfruit?
Breadfruit is usually roasted on an open and direct fire. The aim in the scorch the skin of the fruit in its entirety.
- cut an X at the bottom of the breadfruit
- cut the stem out to create a pocket for steam to escape.
Roasting breadfruit in the oven is super easy and convenient.
If you decide to use the oven to 'roast' your breadfruit, you can follow the same steps above.
- Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit for about 30 minutes
- Stick a knife in the center to see if it is soft.
What to Serve with Fried Breadfruit?
Fried breadfruit is a versatile starch. This carbohydrate can be eaten with almost any protein. I will list a few of my own recipes that will pair well with fried or roasted breadfruit.
Where to find Breadfruit in the United States?
Breadfruit is usually in the freezer aisle of almost any Jamaican or Caribbean supermarket.
In recent years, breadfruit have migrated to other cultures here in the states, which led to canning.
Need Canned Breadfruit? You can find it on Amazon by clicking this link.
You can totally omit the frying step by simply purchasing Breadfruit Chips.
- Skillet or Frying Pan
- 8 Ounces Roasted Breadfruit Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Salt Optional
- Using a knife, cut the breadfruit into ¼ inch strips and set aside
- Place the skillet on medium heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Once the oil is heated, add each piece of breadfruit.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- As soon as the breadfruit is crispy, remove from the hot oil and immediately sprinkle with salt.