This Potatoes and Carrots recipe will not only be delicious, but saves time and energy from standing over the stove. Made with fresh potatoes, carrots and spices, this side dish will surely be a go to staple, especially for those who are vegan or gluten-free.
Like my home fries with peppers and onions recipe, this instant pot potatoes and carrots recipe will surely help you in keeping your money in your pocket. This recipe calls for red potatoes but any potato on sale or your favorite potato will do.
Potato Variety Chart
Potatoes grow in so many different shapes and sizes and are versatile in use. Although potatoes are simple and starchy vegetables, not all potatoes are best for every dish.
Below are a list of the most common potatoes and their best uses:
Russet Potatoes: russet potatoes are great for french fries, home fries, baked potatoes and mashed potatoes.
Yellow Potatoes: yellow potatoes are great for boiling, grilling, roasting and steaming
White Potatoes: white potatoes are perfect for boiling, frying, mashing and roasting.
Red Potatoes: red potatoes are perfect for boiling, grilling, roasting and making potato salads.
Fingerlings Potatoes: fingerling potatoes are perfect for boiling, baking, frying and roasting.
Purple Potatoes: purple potatoes are perfect for mashing, roasting, steaming and making potato salad.
Different Types of Carrots
It may be a bit tricky to find two identical carrots from the same carrot family, however, there are a wide variety of carrots. The three main carrots used in household today are:
- Orange Carrots
Usually white and closely resembling parsnips, orange carrots have developed its known color over the years. This sweet vegetable can be enjoyed raw, steamed, roasted, boiled, juiced or even grilled. Needless to say, carrots are versatile and can be added to any dish.
- Purple Carrots
Purple carrots are especially appealing to the eyes and provide necessary health benefits pertaining to purple fruits and vegetables. Carrots, in general, are highly nutritious, however purple carrots are especially rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants are known to fight inflammation and are beneficial to certain health conditions. Purple carrots are perfect for roasting.
How to Make Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots?
This might be the easiest potatoes and carrot side dish you would ever make. Not only is it easy, but it sure is delicious.
All you would need for this simple and easy are the 6 ingredients below:
How Long Does it Take to Cook Potatoes and Carrots in the Instant Pot?
Potatoes usually take a minimum of 4 minutes in the instant pot, maybe less when the potatoes are diced. The carrots will not become mushy and fall apart. Carrots usually hold their shape when cooked, unless they are cooked for a mighty long time.
Why Pressure Cook Potatoes and Carrots?
The short answer is that this saves time and energy. Cooking potatoes and carrots stove top will take more time for these reasons:
- Potatoes will take a longer time to cook stove top as well as the carrots, however the carrots will still cook in a shorter time
- You will need to cook both the carrots and potatoes separately then combine them, rather than just dumping and go
- Adding the spices, (other than salt), would be done after the potatoes and carrots are cooked separately,rather than just adding all the ingredients to the instant pot.
Using an instant pot, or any other pressure cooker, will omit these steps above and create some delicious potatoes and carrots in minutes.
Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- 6 Medium Red Potatoes Washed and Diced
- 4 Medium Carrots Peeled and Diced
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Water
- Add all the ingredients to the instant pot and stir to combine.
- Turn the instant pot on to pressure cook on high and cover. Ensure the vent is sealed.
- Allow the potatoes and carrots to cook for 4 minutes.
- Once the timer is up, release the steam with the quick release method.
- Serve with Cast Iron Lobster