Jamaican Curry Chicken Foot is a rich, delicious, and heart-warming curry made with chicken feet and authentic Jamaican curry powder. Thanks to the instant pot, this curry is very easy to make. It is jam-packed with Jamaican flavors and is a very healthy way to enjoy a curry.
Jamaican Curry Chicken Foot Ingredient breakdown
Chicken feet: You will need chicken feet for this recipe; make sure they are thoroughly washed and nails-cut. You can easily find chicken feet from a poultry shop. They are quite nutritious and are rich in vitamins and minerals. Make sure you season the chicken feet with Jamaican curry powder.
Chicken stock: Chicken stock brings in so much flavor to the curry. You can use chicken bouillon dissolved in water as well.
Onion: Onions bring in a savory flavor and body to the curry. You can either use white or red onions for this Jamaican curry.
Bell pepper: Bell pepper brings in freshness and taste to the curry.
Carrots: Carrots are healthy and bring nutrients, color, and taste to the curry.
Garlic: Garlic offers a savory and garlicky richness to the curry.
Scotch bonnet: This Caribbean pepper is very hot. It adds heat to the curry.
What is Jamaican Curry Powder? Can you make Jamaican Curry Powder at home?
Jamaican curry powder is a rich-flavored dry spice mix made from aromatic and flavorful spices. You can easily find it at any grocery store. Moreover, you can prepare it at home as well. You can adjust the flavors according to your preferences. You will need coriander powder, cumin powder, star anise, mustard, allspice, fenugreek, chili powder, and turmeric.
Corn: Adding baby corn or corn kernels to the curry will add color and flavor to it.
Yellow yam: Yellow yam is another vegetable widely used in Jamaican dishes. This ingredient adds a unique flavor to the curry.
Pumpkin: If you love pumpkin, why not use it in the Jamaican Curry Chicken Foot?
Thyme: Sprig of fresh thyme adds aroma and flavor to the curry.
Thickening agent: If you like your curry thick, and rich add either cornstarch or all-purpose flour slurry at the end.
What to Serve with Jamaican Curry Chicken Foot?
There are so many ways you can enjoy this tasteful and rich curry. Whether serving it as a soup or a main course with a few sides, the choice is yours. Here are a few ideas:
Rice: Rice and curry are bread and butter. They do so well together. The simple flavor of the rice compensates for the heat from the curry. You can either serve this curry with plain rice, garlic rice, or Jasmine rice. The choice is yours, however, you try my Instant Pot Jasmine Rice recipe.
Bread: Butter toasted pieces of bread are a perfect way to enjoy this curry.
Noodles: You can also enjoy this curry with rice or wheat noodles. Make sure the curry is thick with your noodles.
Flatbread: Flatbread is easy to make, fluffy and soft. It has the ability to soak up the flavors of the curry. That’s why it goes so well with this Jamaican curry.
Popular Jamaican Curry Recipes
Lentil Curry - Vegan
Jamaican Curry Chicken Foot
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Can Opener
- 1 Pound Chicken Feet Cleaned and Washed
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Curry Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- 3 Whole Pimento or All Spice
- 1 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Pepper Optional
- 1 Large Carrot Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Jamaican Curry Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil or as needed
- 6 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Can Butter Beans Rinsed
Seasoning the Chicken Feet
Cooking the Chicken Feet
- Place the vegetable oil and the remainder of the Jamaican Curry Powder, along with the chopped garlic, in the instant pot and set the saute for 5 minutes.
- If you are using a pressure cooker, heat the vegetable oil, chopped garlic and Jamaican curry powder on medium heat.
- Once heated, add the seasoned chicken feet and sear on each side for 2 minutes. Add the chopped vegetables and water then cover the instant pot.
- Set to high pressure for 30 minutes and ensure the vent is sealed.
- Once the timer is up, use the quick release method to allow the steam to escape.
- Turn the instant pot to saute for 5 minutes and add the rinsed butter beans.Stir the chicken feet stew to allow the sauce to cover everything.
- Once the timer is done, it is time to serve.