This may be the most original Jamaican curry chicken recipe you will ever make in an instant pot. I love curry chicken, curry anything for that matter. Jamaicans eat curry chicken for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so this is a very popular dish on the island. As you read this sentence right now, there is a Jamaican out there burning curry powder to make a Jamaican curry chicken recipe.
What is Jamaican Curry Chicken Roti?
Personally, I was not familiar with a Jamaican curry chicken roti as much as I am with Trinidad roti. I may have had it once or twice while going to school in Jamaica but not much any more. Since living in New York, I have been craving roti so I developed my own version of the Jamaican roti.
For the Jamaican Roti Dough
- Combine 2 cups of flour with a ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 Tablespoon of baking powder in a bowl.
- Add about ¼ cup of water and work the mixture together to form a soft dough. Add more water if the dough is dry or add more flour if the dough is wet.
- Let the dough sit for about 10 minutes, covered with a towel.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces
- Roll each piece of dough in a circular shape using a rolling pin
- Fry each dough on each side for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
The Jamaican Roti recipe is similar to the Jamaican Fried Dumplings recipe. The ingredients are the same but the method of frying is different. These Jamaican fried dumplings are also known as Johnny Cakes.
What is Jamaican Curry Powder?
Jamaican curry powder is essentially the queen spice of Jamaica. It made up of an array of herbs and spices such as:
6. Cumin Seeds
All these spices and seeds are dry roasted before blending into the famous Jamaican Curry Powder we know.
Jamaican Curry Chicken - Instant Pot Recipe
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Mixing Bowl
To Season the Chicken
- 2 Pounds White Meat Chicken Cleaned and Cut
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Curry Powder for Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 3 Balls Pimento or Allspice
To Cook the Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Curry Powder for Cooking
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- ½ Cup Water or Chicken Stock
- 1 Teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 Large Potato Peeled and Diced (I used 5 Baby Potatoes)
- 1 Small Onion Peeled and Diced
- 1 Medium Carrot Peeled and Sliced
- Season chicken by adding the curry powder, paprika, black pepper and salt.
- Using a large spoon, or a gloved hand, massage the spices into the chicken then allow to sit and marinate at room temperature until ready to cook.
- Turn the instant pot on to the saute option and add the olive oil.
- Once heated, add the second tablespoon of curry powder and minced garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds to a minute until curry slightly changes in color and fragrant.
- All the pieces of seasoned chicken in one side and allow the chicken to brown.
- Add all the other vegetables along with a small amount of water and stir.
- Turn the instant pot off from the saute setting and turn the pressure cook setting to high for 7 minutes.
- Cover the instant pot and allow the chicken and vegetables to cook.
- Once the timer is up, use the natural release method to allow the steam to escape.
- Open the instant pot and turn the saute option back on and allow the sauce to reduce for 3 minutes.
Leave a Reply