WHO Made the First Dumpling? Sure, wasn’t me.
Looking at the origin of dumplings, most food experts and professionals believe that this food was invented in China. It is said that a great physician, Zhang, came up with an idea by combining herbs, mutton, and chilis then wrapped them with dough and after that, he steamed them together to make it warm.
This steaming method helped people to get through the cold weather and the herbs food he gave them to improve their blood circulation and protect them from getting frostbite.
This Jamaican fried dumplings (also known as Johnny cakes) recipe, is unlike any other fried dumplings recipe.
How are Jamaican Fried Dumplings Different?
Jamaican fried dumplings are no different in concept but the ingredients are much more simple; flour, salt and water when boiling and flour, salt, baking powder when frying.
Jamaican fried dumplings, just like Jamaican Boiled Dumplings are versatile as they can be eaten at any time of the day and with any meat kind.
Some Popular Jamaican Foods that are Eaten with Dumplings are:
Ackee and Saltfish (Jamaica’s National Dish) Have you tried Jamaican Seasoned Rice? Adding ackee to Jamaican Season Rice will have you licking your plate.
Let me know in the comments what your favourite things to eat with Jamaican Dumplings are. Do You Prefer Boiled Jamaican Dumplings or Fried Jamaican Dumplings?
Jamaican Fried Dumplings (Stuffed With Cheese)
Ooey, Gooeym Cheesy Goodness.
- 2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 TeaspoonsBaking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Warm Water
- 1 Cup Cheese, Shredded ( Any Cheese You Prefer)
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a whisk or clean hands, combine all ingredients to incorporate.
- Make a well and add pour in water.
- Gently work the dry mixture into the water to form a dough. Continue kneading until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Cover with a towel and rest until the oil is heated and ready for frying.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a large and thick skillet over medium high heat.
- Once oil is heated, break pieces of dough and start to form each dumpling into a flat biscuit shape. Once the dough is flat, place a pinch of cheese into the center of the dough and gently fold the edges into the middle to seal the cheese into the dumplings.
- For visual instructions, see my YouTube Video on how to make Jamaican Fried Dumplings (stuffed with Cheese)
- Fry on each side for 3-5 minutes, flipping every 60 seconds, until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel and serve.
Sat. Fat (grams)
Looks absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to try this😊.
Awesome. Thank You.
Let me know how you like it.