Jamaican Curry Oxtail made in an Instant Pot is beyond easy.
Looking for a heart, rich and flavorsome curry recipe to try this weekend? How about you give this Jamaican delicacy a try!
Making curries in an instant pot is super convenient and easy. It takes far less time, and you get the perfect rich curry flavor as well. If you have tried oxtail curry before, you will know it takes a bit of time to cook. So, that's why instant pot oxtail is a bit of a hit these days. It is rich, flavorful, aromatic, and Jamaican! Thus, a perfect treat for every occasion.
What is oxtail?
In simple words, the oxtail is the tail of an ox. It is a cut that is not widely used all across the world. That's because it has less meat and more cartilage and bone. However, it is considered a delicacy in most parts of the world, and you will see its use in Jamaican, British, Russian, Asian, and Spanish cuisine. Furthermore, it is super rich in gelatin.
How to cook Jamaican oxtail?
Traditionally, you will find oxtail in broths, stews, and curries. Because it is gelatinous and not as meaty as other cuts, you have to cook it or braise it on low heat for several hours to get the maximum flavor and goodness out of it.
Now, the traditional Jamaican oxtail curry is full of flavors and spices. You get curry powder, onions, garlic, potatoes, sweet pepper, etc. It is rich, complex, and has a depth of flavors. The cuisine uses plenty of aromatics and spices that makes it unique. Thus, it does justice to the oxtail!
Why cook oxtail in an instant pot?
There is no doubt that Jamaican oxtail curry is extremely delicious. It is so delicious that you will get addicted to the flavors. But there is one problem! It takes a lot of time to cook. We are talking about three to four hours of cooking. Now that's really a lot!
But don't worry! You can still enjoy Jamaican oxtail curry if you don't have that much time. Are you thinking how? Well, all thanks go to the instant pot. This kitchen gadget is a miracle for those who hate longer cooks. And if you are one of those people who hate to wait for hours for a dish to cook, or are tired, or don't like to cook often or are simply impatient, you can make oxtail curry in an instant pot as well! Isn't that awesome?
Tips and tricks for cooking perfect oxtail curry
Although cooking Jamaican oxtail curry in an instant pot is pretty straightforward, here are a few tips you should keep in mind:
- Make sure the oxtail cuts you buy are similar in size and are smaller. This way, they will cook evenly.
- Oxtail is naturally fatty, but you wouldn't want too much fat in the curry. If so, make sure to trim excess fat before cooking.
- You can adjust the spice lee according to your liking. If you love spicy curries, you can add scotch bonnet pepper or habanero as well. HAVE YOU TRIED BROWN STEW GOAT?
Jamaican Curry Oxtail - Instant Pot
- 2 Pounds Oxtail Cleaned
- 1 Medium Onion Large Diced
- 1 Medium Bell Pepper Large Dice
- 1 Medium Carrot Chopped
- 2 Large Potatoes Large Diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt Optional
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican All Purpose Seasoning (any spice mix of choice, like adobo)
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1 Cup Water
Cleaning the Oxtail
- Rinse the oxtail under cool water, the place in a bowl.
- Add clean water to the bowl with the juice of a lime and the outer part the of the lime
- Allow the oxtail to sit in the lime and water for about 5 minutes before rinsing and draining.
Seasoning the Oxtail
- In the bowl with the washed oxtail, add salt, black pepper, paprika, all purpose seasoning, paprika and curry powder.
- Use your hand or spoon to mix and evenly incorporate the spices onto the oxtail. Allow the oxtail to sit at room temperature until ready to cook, at least 10 minutes. During the sitting time, you may prepare the vegetables and star cooking once you are done.
Cooking the Oxtail
- Turn the instant pot on and activate the saute option.
- Once hot, add half the oxtail and brown for about 3 minutes on both sides, remove and place on a plate. Repeat the process until all the oxtail is browned ( 2 or 3 rounds, depending on the size of the oxtail).
- Do not overcrowd the instant pot, this will allow even browning.
- Once all the oxtail is browned and on the plate, add and saute garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes and bell peppers for about 3 minutes. Allow the vegetables to get coated in the oxtail juice at the bottom of the instant pot.
- Turn the instant pot off and activate the pressure cooker option on high for 25 minutes.
- Add the browned oxtail and water. Close the instant pot and allow it to cook ( Use the Quick Pressure Release)