This Instant Pot Kidney Beans recipe may be the easiest way to cook dried kidney beans. Cooking kidney beans on the stove top will take at least two hours to be fully cooked. This recipe will not only save time and energy, but it will surely be delicious.
How Do I Make Kidney Beans in an Instant Pot?
- Rinse the dried kidney beans under cool water, (Soaking is not required).
- Add the washed beans to the instant pot, along with salt and water or stock.
- Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes for small beans and 30 minutes for larger beans.
- Allow the instant pot to naturally release the steam before opening and serving.
Can You Pressure Cook Beans Without Soaking?
Soaking dried kidney beans is not necessary when using an instant pot. One can easily toss the beans in the instant pot, along with salt and water or stock and pressure cook. The uses of cooked kidney beans are endless, 6 ways are listed below.
- Use in Salads
- Make Chili
- Use in a Stew
- Make Instant Pot Jamaican Rice and Peas
- Use in a Soup
- Freeze or Can for later use
Instant Pot Kidney Beans Ingredients
Is Jamaican Rice and Peas Healthy?
In short, Yes! Jamaican rice and peas is healthy.
The ingredients used to make an authentic Jamaican rice and peas recipe are purely vegan and gluten free. The fat base is rice and peas is usually margarine which is made from vegetable oil. The margarine is added to increase flavor, however it is optional when using coconut cream, coconut milk or coconut milk powder.
Jamaican Rice and Peas Ingredients
Authentic Jamaican rice and peas recipes are hard to find, especially in the United States. This may not be because of what the cook can prepare but because of the ingredients available. The availability of the ingredients needed for all Jamaican dishes are readily available, however, the quality is not the same in comparison to what traditional Jamaicans are accustomed to.
Authentic Jamaican rice and peas recipes usually has all or most of the following ingredients:
- White Rice
- Cooked Kidney Beans
- Fresh Thyme
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Coconut Milk or Coconut Milk Powder
- Ginger (optional)
- Garlic (optional
Instant Pot Kidney Beans
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Storage Containers
- 1 Cup Dried Kidney Beans Rinsed
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 6 Whole Jamaican Pimento Optional
- 3 Cloves Garlic Optional
- 1 Sprig Thyme Optional
- Turn the instant pot on to the pressure cook setting, on high for 30 minutes.
- Attach the cover to the instant pot, ensuring that the vent is sealed, and allow the kidney beans to cook.
- Once the timer is up, allow the steam to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Open the vent to release the remaining steam, before attempting to uncover the instant pot.
- Serve hot or store for future use.