Sweet and sour pork belly is not only gluten-free but will leave you craving more.
Pork belly is widely used to make bacon, that is loved worldwide. However, there are many different traditional ways in making this tender and delicious cut of meat all around the globe. This sweet and sour pork belly recipe is an inspiration from Asian cuisine, similar to a bbq pork belly but with an extra zing.
There was a time when pork belly dishes seemed intimidating and boy I was wrong. Trying pork belly, cooked to the correct temperature and with the right crispiness to the skin will not disappoint. My recent encounter was at an Italian restaurant in Mamaroneck NY, this past Summer. This crispy pork belly dish was topped with mustard seeds and cooked to perfection.
Ingredients in this Sweet and Sour Pork Bell Recipe!
For the Pork
For the Sauce
The ingredients listed above, is essentially a shopping list for this recipe. You may simply click each ingredient and add them to the Amazon Fresh cart. Beginning this past August 2022, you can get $10 off $20 on selected purchases using EBT. Use this link - Amazon Fresh.
How Long Do You Cook Pork Belly For?
Pork belly, also known as lechon belly, is a naturally fatty meat and usually needs a low steady heat to render the fat and high heat at the end to crisp the skin.
A perfect temperature for rendering pork belly is 250 degrees farhenheit and cooked to an internal temperature of 155 degrees farhenheit.
There are a few cooking methods to create tasty pork belly recipes:
- Deep Frying
- Pan Frying
Smoking Pork Belly
The low and slow cooking when smoking pork belly creates a unique flavor that only the wood can create.
PORK BELLY DRY RUB RECIPE - perfect for smoking.
Step for Smoking Pork Belly
- Dry rub brine the pork belly overnight, wash the brine off and pat the meat dry.
- Bring the smoker to 225 degrees fahrenheit.
- Add the desired wood chips and allow the smoker to smoke. Place the pork belly in the smoking smoker and over indirect heat for at least 3 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees fahrenheit.
- Remove from the heat and allow the smoked pork belly to rest for at least 15 minutes.
Jamaican Side Dishes for Sweet and Sour Pork Belly
Below is a list of sides and recipes that will pair will with this sweet and sour pork belly dish.
- Roast Breadfruit
- Fried Breadfruit
- Fried Dumpling (No Cheese)
- Boiled Green Bananas
- Jamaican Rice and Peas
- Jasmine Rice
Sweet and Sour Pork Belly
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 Wok
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 Pounds Pork Belly Skin On
- 2 Tablespoons Salt for brining
- Water for brining
- 1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Chili Flakes
- 6 Cloves Garlic Rough Chopped
- ¼ Inch Ginger Rough Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Natural Brown Sugar
- Place the pork belly slab onto the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the pork belly into 2 inch pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
- Pour cool water onto the cubed pork belly, just enough to cover all the pork.Add the salt and agitate.Let this sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- After 30 minutes, drain the salt water and rinse twice with cool water.Drain or pat dry with a paper towel to remove the excess water.
Cooking the Pork Belly
- Turn the oven on to 400 degree fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, add and combine the apple cider vinegar, water, ketchup, chili flakes, garlic and ginger, then set aside.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the skin begins a crackle.
- Carefully remove the cooked pork belly from the oven and place each piece in a wok, then properly discard or store the lard.
- Place the wok on medium heat and occasionally stir for 15 minutes while removing any unwanted lard.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce mixture from step 5 onto the pork belly and allow the sauce to come to a bubble.
- As soon as the sauce begins to bubble, lower the heat to low and reduce the sauce for 5 minutes or until the desired sauce thickness is achieved.