Just like the beef kidney recipe, this Jamaican Stew liver recipe is rich in nutrients and flavor.
Iron and vitamins are the main nutrients in this liver recipe.
As simple and easy as this stew dish is to make, it can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Stew liver is usually enjoyed with any of the following and more:
Jamaican Stew Liver Ingredients
This dish is made with traditional ingredients, which are listed below:
- Jamaican Browning
- Pimento (All Spice Berries)
- Black Pepper
- All Purpose Seasoning
- Hot Pepper
- Fresh Garlic
- Sweet Pepper
All the ingredients above can be found and purchased on Amazon Fresh by clicking the link and adding to the shopping cart. Beginning this past August 2022, you can get $10 off $20 on selected purchases using EBT. Use this link - Amazon Fresh.
Raw Beef Liver for Humans and Dogs
Raw beef liver is a common source of nutrients, mainly iron, in a dog's diet. The liver is a tasty protein in its natural state. The liver is an iron dense protein which is cost effective and easy to prepare.
Raw organ meat can be added to a four legged pet's diet and it is very cost effective and easy to prepare.
With the addition of cooked grains and raw vegetables, one can create a well balanced diet for dogs.
Just as the dogs benefit from the nutrients in the raw beef liver, humans can do. It is not taboo in certain countries to eat this meat in the raw state.
However, in Jamaica, we usually stew or brown stew this meat and enjoy is a starchy side dish.
How to Clean Liver before Cooking
Cleaning any raw meat and seasoning before cooking, is almost an essential step in my cooking and any other Jamaican dish.
Here are the steps to cleaning beef liver:
- Add the raw liver to a large bowl, add enough cool water to cover the meat along with a tablespoon of salt or a splash of white vinegar.
- Agitate and allow the liver to sit in the cool salt or vinegar water for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the salt or vinegar water off the liver and rinse with clean cool water. Do this two more times or until the water runs clear.
- Pat the liver dry and it is ready for spices and cooking,
Jamaican Stew Beef Liver
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Skillet or Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 Whole Calve's Liver cleaned (instructions above)
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican All Purpose Seasoning with salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika optional
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1 Small Bell Pepper Cleaned and Chopped
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 6 Cloves Fresh Garlic Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Habanero
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Browning
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Water
Seasoning the Liver
- Place the cleaned liver on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the liver into 1 inch pieces and add to a mixing bowl.
- To the cleaned liver pieces, add all the ingredients listed above except the olive oil and water.
- Using your clean hand or a large spoon, mix all the ingredients together until fully incorporated.
Cooking the Liver
- Place a large skillet or frying pan on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- After about a minute of adding the olive oil, carefully add all the seasoned liver mixture to the heat and spread evenly in the pan.
- Increase the heat to high and cook for about 5 minutes, then stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once you hear the frying sound and there is no liquid in the pan, add 2 cups of water, cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, uncover the pan, stir and allow the sauce tote reduce for about 5 minutes or until your desired sauce is achieved.