Beef Kidney was a once in a while meal for many growing up in Jamaica. There is usually more beef to go around rather than kidney, feet, tongue, head or the other delicious parts of the cow most American throw out.
The first time I tried cow kidney stew, it was pretty interesting. For many years, I used to only eat the sauce but not the meat itself. To me, the meat tasted like rubber but the texture grew on me over time.
Beef kidney is a naturally iron rich food that provides necessary nutrients for the human body. Like my chicken foot soup or brown stew chicken feet recipes, this cow kidney recipe is sure to grant some of the necessary nutrients needed for the body.
Rich in nutrients and proteins, kidney meat contains omega 3 fatty acids. It is also known to contain anti-inflammatory properties and to be good for the heart.
Seasoning Cow Kidney
Different strokes for different folks, but for Jamaicans, here are our most used herbs and spices for this and any stew:
Where to buy Beef Kidney?
Luckily, here in New York, there are many ethnic and Caribbean grocery stores near me. That makes it extremely easy to find rare ingredients from different countries.
Nowadays, kidney has become popular in raw dog food and can be found in most grocery stores and grocery delivery services.
Surprisingly, beef kidney is a very cheap ingredient; I bought a whole cow kidney for under $4. Literally making it $1 per serving.
Cow kidney Smell
Raw may not be a smell but that is the best way I know how to describe it. The kidney in both humans and animals have essentially the same functions. Their main job is to cleanse the blood of toxins and transform the waste into urine. Taking a wild guess, I think that is where the smell generates from.
Beef Kidney Recipe and Ingredients
Beef Kidney Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- Skillet or Frying Pan
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 Whole Beef Kidney Cleaned
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 Small Onion Sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Scotch Bonnet Pepper Chopped
- 1 Sprig Thyme
- 6 Whole Pimento
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Browning
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Water as Needed
How to Cut Beef Kidney
- Place the beef kidney flat on a cutting board and use the tip of a knife to remove the meat from the inner white piece.
- Once all the flesh is removed, cut into ½ inch pieces.
How to Clean Beef Kidney
- Place the cut beef kidney in a bowl, along with some cool water and a splash of white vinegar.
- Use a spoon or your hand to move the kidney around then allow it to sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and drain.
How to Season Beef Kidney
- After the beef kidney has been cut and cleaned, add the all purpose seasoning along with the Jamaican browning and all the herbs and vegetables.
- Use your hand or a spoon to mix all the ingredients together. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes, but overnight is always best.
How to Cook Seasoned Beef Kidney
- Add coconut oil to a skillet and place on medium heat.
- Once heated, add the seasoned beef kidney and cook for 8 minutes. Stirring in between
- After 8 minutes and all the liquid is absorbed, start with adding 2 cups of water and cover. Cook for 20 minutes before adding 2 more cups of water. Cook for another 20 minutes, covered, then another 5 minutes, uncovered, to reduce the sauce.