With garlic, carrots, onion, herbs and spices, this Instant Pot Rice Pilaf is bound to satisfy your taste buds. This recipe is made with brown rice which is favorable to certain diets such as the diabetic diet, gluten-free diet and of course the vegan diet.
This brown rice pilaf recipe is that of a pressure cooker fried rice. With adding the Asian flavor, of soy sauce, it adds an elevated taste to the dish, rather than plain ole brown rice.
Brown Rice Pilaf Ingredients
The Ingredients and Amazon/Whole Foods links are below:
- Brown Rice
- Coconut Oil
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Chili Flakes
What is the Difference Between Rice and Rice Pilaf?
The difference between regular rice and rice pilaf is in the cooking process and the flavors. Plain rice is usually cooked with just water and added salt, while rice pilaf is toasted in fat, giving it a nutty flavor, and then cooked in broth or water, along with additional herbs and spices.
Try my Instant Pot Rice and Peas Recipe!
Is Brown Rice Good for Weight Loss?
Brown rice is the most recommended variety for those hoping to lose weight. Loaded with dietary fiber, brown rice boosts metabolism and has 111 calories for every 100 grams of plain cooked brown rice.
How to Season Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf?
When seasoning brown rice, or any rice at all, the possibilities are endless.
Jamaican rice recipes are traditionally seasoned with: coconut milk, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, scallions and salt of course.
Seasoning your rice may be based on your taste preferences. In the recipe below, there are quite a few ingredients that are optional. This is because they only add flavor to the rice and can be substitutes for other preferred ingredients.
How Long Does it take to Cook Brown Rice Pilaf in the Instant Pot?
Cooking brown rice in the instant pot may take a minimum of 20 minutes with the natural release option. When making Instant Pot Brown Rice Pilaf, there may be an additional 5 to 10 minutes added in order to allow the rice and vegetables to toast.
Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 Cups Brown Rice Rinsed
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup White Onions Diced
- 1 Cup Carrots Peeled and Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt or as needed
- 2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning Optional
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Flakes Optional
- 5 Whole Pimento Optional
- Turn the instant pot on to the saute option for 5 minutes. Add the coconut oil, onions, carrots, garlic, salt and optional spices.
- Stir using a wooden spoon to incorporate the spices and allow the rice to toast.
- Once the timer is up, turn the instant pot on to the pressure cook setting, on low pressure for 22 minutes.
- Add the water and low sodium soy sauce to the instant pot and stir.
- Cover the instant pot and seal the vent, then allow the rice to cook. Once the timer is up, allow the steam to release naturally, for about 10 minutes before opening.
- Fluffy and serve.
Leave a Reply